Leek and District Gun Club
Welcome to the Safety Page
Hints and tips on safe shooting
If your new to shooting this is the page for you, and if you have been shooting for years. Well, you are never to old to learn.
Ten key points of safety
1. Respect: Treat all guns as though they are loaded - an accident could be fatal.
2. Safe and Sound: All guns must be in proof and be in good order.Do not use a faulty or doubtfull gun.
3. Open and Empty: Carry guns open and empty, semi-autos bolt back and flagged. Never rely on a safety catch.
4. Correct Cartridges: Only carry the correct cartridges for the gauge and chamber of the gun you are using. Never mix gauges in your pockets or bag.
5. Barrels Clear: Check the barrels are free from obstructions before every loading. Check for light.
6. Point Down the Range: Keep barrels pointing down range at all times when loaded. Open and empty immediately after firing.
7. Only Shoot Clays: Only point or shoot at whole targets thrown for you on your command - not other objects, live or inanimate.
8. Misfires: Keep guns closed for 20 seconds, barrels pointing down the range, Check barrels are clear after a soft or unusual discharge.
9. Do Not Mix: Alcohol, Drugs and horseplay - WITH GUNS.
10. Remember: When shooting, you are responsible for the safe handling of your gun(s) and the behavior and safety of your guests, family and animals.
SAFETY IS IN THE HANDS OF THE SHOOTER